History of Hawarden Golf Club
Founded in 1911, Hawarden is a very well established golf club with a wealth of historical intrigue. In 2011, the club celebrated it’s centenary year with a number of celebrations. One of our members, Alan Read, put together a fantastic and insightful history of the golf club. This was published in the 2011 club diary, which many members will have seen and undoubtedly learned something new about the club and golf course we all know today.
Following is the published piece from the Centenary Diary.
A History of Hawarden Golf Club
1911 – 2011
One hundred years ago, Hawarden was still the small village that had not changed over the centuries. There was little in the form of organized recreation, although Hawarden Cricket Club boasted a long tradition.
Initially confined to Scotland, the popularity of golf was spreading rapidly. The Chester Golf Club had been established for some twenty years on land that is now part of the steelworks. At Padeswood, a new club had been formed and amongst its members were a few enthusiasts from Hawarden. It was one of these, Mr R. Strachen Gardiner, the Agent of the Gladstone Estates, who first conceived the idea of forming a club at Hawarden.
Mr. Gardiner was able to negotiate on behalf of the Estate with local farmers, and acquired playing rights for a nine hole course to be laid out over four fields lying to the west of Aston Bank. He secured the interest of a group of like minded gentlemen, including Mr. C. B. Toller.
Mr. Toller was a business man of some standing in the Village, a patron of local sport, an associate of the Gladstones and a trustee of St. Deiniol’s library, and he was to play a pivotal role in the development of Hawarden Golf Club, and to be its Captain for many years.
Mr Gardiner, on behalf of a provisional committee, circulated letters to persons in the Hawarden area who might possibly be interested in the formation of a Golf Club. An initial meeting was held in the Hawarden Institute on Wed 11th Jan 1911 to outline the proposal and discuss fees etc.
Further letters were circulated to prospective members asking for signed declarations of membership, the result of which was the convening of a meeting in the Institute on Wed 25th Jan 1911.
At this meeting, the Hawarden Golf Club was officially inaugurated
On the pages following, text in italics within a box has been taken directly from old Club records
Dear Sir or Madam,
It is proposed to start a Golf Club at Hawarden, provided that sufficient support is forthcoming. An ideal site is available between Aston Lane and Aston Sand Pits on the higher side of the GC Railway, about half a mile from Hawarden Station and the village. Owing to the dry sandy soil, and the undulating nature of the ground, a very sporting nine hole course would soon be brought into playing order. The situation is high lying and bracing and commands a magnificent view of the Dee estuary.
Mr. Gladstone has kindly consented to let the right of golfing, and it has been ascertained that the tenants of the land have no objection and are prepared to negotiate.
The Club is primarily intended for residents of Hawarden and District who have not the time to get to a distant Course, and it is hoped that Entrance Fees and Subscriptions need not exceed the following…
Entrance Fee Annual Subscription
£ s d £ s d
Ladies 10 6 1 1 0
Gentlemen 1 1 0 1 1 0
Family 3 3 0 2 2 0
It is also suggested that a good Golf Course would be an advantage to the Village, it having been the experience of other places that it offers a great attraction to visitors.
If our proposal can be put into practical shape, it is important that the work of preparing the ground should be undertaken without delay, so that play can be commenced early in the summer.
If you favour the idea, would you kindly attend a Meeting at the Hawarden Institute on Wednesday 11th January at 7.00pm to elect Officers and Committee
A Lyon, J Frater, E.B. Roberts,
Willmore Taylor, R. Strachan Gardiner
At the Meeting held at the Institute on Wednesday, the 11th Jan 1911 at 7.00 pm, there were present :-
Messrs :- A Lyon, J Frater, E.B. Roberts, Willmore Taylor, R. S. Gardiner, S.H.Wooley, K. Taylor, and J.D.Mayhew, who formed themselves into a Provisional Committee.
Proposed by Mr. Mayhew, seconded by Mr. Frater, that a Golf Club be formed if forty promises of membership be obtained on or before 25th inst.
The Committee all expressed their willingness to guarantee £5 each to meet an overdraft at the Bank if required, subject to an arrangement with the Club, if formed.
Signed R.Strachan Gardiner Chairman
After the meeting on Wed 11th Jan 1911, at which the conditions for the formation of the Golf Club were formally declared, a further circular was sent out to prospective members.
Proposed Hawarden Golf Club
Chester 14th Jan 1911
Dear Sir or Madam,
Referring to the Circular recently sent you, it was resolved at the Meeting held at the Hawarden Institute on 11th inst that a Golf Club be formed, provided that the number of members then announced is increased to forty within the ensuing fortnight.
The following Provisional Committee agreed to act, ( with power to co-opt) J.D.Mayhew, S.H.Wooley, K.Taylor, A.Lyon, Dr. E.B.Roberts, Willmore Taylor, and R.S.Gardiner.
Only a few more names are required, and we sincerely hope that you will agree to join us, and return the accompanying slip to any of the Committee
on or before 24th inst.
for the Committee R.S.Gardiner
The response to this circular was very positive, and a letter was sent out to those persons who had returned the slip to the Provisional Committee
Proposed Hawarden Golf Club
Hawarden Chester 22nd Jan 1911
Dear Sir or Madam,
The response to the last circular sent to you has been so satisfactory that the formation of a Club is now assured.
We shall be glad if all who have promised to join will attend a Meeting at the Hawarden Institute on Wednesday next, the 25th inst. at 7.00pm to appoint a Representative Committee and transact other business
for the Provisional Committee R.S.Gardiner
The following Minutes are a formal record of the Inauguration of Hawarden Golf Club
Minutes of the Meeting held at the Hawarden Institute on Wednesday 25th Jan 1911 at 7.00pm.
Present :- Mrs. Chambers, Mrs. Hindley, Mrs. J. Davies,
Messrs. S.H.Wooley, J. Frater, R.S.Gardiner, K.Taylor, W.Taylor, S.H.Hopwood, L.W.N.Jones, G.Gartell, J.Roberts, Dr.Roberts.
Letters from the Rector and Mr. Horace Mayhew apologising for absence were read.
Proposed by Mr. Frater and seconded by Mr. Wooley that Mr. Lyon take the Chair. …………carried.
It was announced that forty six promises of members had been received.
The following Resolution was proposed by Mr. Wooley and seconded by Mr. Frater…………
“ That a Club be formed, to be called “ the Hawarden Golf Club”, and that a Committee and Officers be elected, with powers to transact all necessary business, and to proceed with the preparation of the Course on the proposed site “ ……………carried unanimously.
Proposd Mr. Gartell, seconded Mr. Roberts, that the acting Committee be re-elected…………………………………carried
Proposed by Mr. Wooley, seconded by Mr.K.Taylor, that the Committee be limited to ten members. …………………carried
Proposed by Mr. Gardiner , seconded by Mr. Roberts, that the Committee be empowered to co-opt additional members………………….carried
Proposed by Mr. Wooley, seconded by Mrs. Chambers, that Mr. W.G.C. Gladstone be asked to become President of the Club………carried
Proposed by Mr. Frater, seconded by Mr. Roberts, that Messrs. R.G.Gardiner and Willmore Taylor be appointed Joint Honorary Secretaries……….carried
Proposed by Dr. Roberts, seconded by Mr. Hopwood, that Mr. Cecil Harris be appointed Honorary Treasurer……………….carried
Proposed by Mr. Gartell, seconded by Mr. K. Taylor, that the Secretaries carry out the necessary arrangements for a twenty one year lease, with breaks at seven and fourteen years, from Mr. Gladstone, of the golfing rights, and settle terms with the tenants…………………carried
Proposed by Mr. Roberts, seconded by Mr. Gartell, that the Secretaries make arrangements to obtain the advice of a Professional as to laying out the course……………………….carried
It was arranged that the Club year start on the 31st March, but that members be asked to pay their Entrance Fees and Subscriptions as early as possible to enable work to be put in hand.
Play started in early 1911 using a wooden pavilion as the clubhouse that soon proved to be inadequate for a rapidly increasing membership. Mr Gladstone again generously came forward and provided larger premises that were officially opened in Aug 1912. Improvements were ongoing until the outbreak of the Great War in 1914 brought about an immediate halt to the club’s activities. Many members enlisted, and the land was commandeered to site anti aircraft guns and a searchlight battalion to protect the local munitions works, with the clubhouse used as officers’ quarters.
After the armistice, in 1919 a special meeting of previous and prospective members was called in the HawardenCountySchool to discuss the resuscitation of the club. With promises of income to the value of £96, it was decided to carry on and work commenced to relay greens and tees.
The following season proved so successful that larger accommodation became necessary, and a ‘commodious’ tea room was built adjoining the clubhouse. In 1921, due to growing demand, it was decide to start a tennis section, and two courts were laid. Later, bowls enthusiasts within the club planned to prepare a green on land behind the Hawarden Institute, but these plans never came to fruition.
Mr. C.B.Toller died in tragic circumstances in 1929 after serving for seventeen years as Captain of Hawarden Golf Club. His guidance, influence, and generosity placed the Club on a secure footing, and we who carry the Club forward, owe him a great debt.
In 1930, the committee decided to allow play on a Sunday morning for a trial period, and also to allow the Ladies’ Captain and Secretary to attend monthly committee meetings, at which they may take part in business appertaining to the Ladies’ Section, but would have no voting rights.
It is interesting to note that at this time, the club’s finances were perilous, and a scheme was introduced that members should agree to introduce one new member or in default pay one guinea extra in subscription. The annual subscription was three guineas (£3-3s, or for the younger members £3-15p)
In 1935, the lease on the present site expired and at a special meeting, the members voted that the club continue, with an increase in subscription to finance work on the new course and clubhouse at Groomsdale Lane, again generously provided by the Gladstone Estate.
Modern day members of Hawarden Golf Club might like to walk down Upper Aston Hall Lane opposite the High School ( the old CountySchool ) and see the location of the old course, and visualise some of the holes played with brassies and mashies.
As you near the limit of the housing on the left, a drive to your right leads to the monastery, which up to 1929 was the home of Mr C B Toller. A short walk on, and on the left is the site of the clubhouse with the course extending across the fields to the present Aston Hill dual carriageway.
The Old Course
|Hole Number||Length yds||Bogey ( par )|
The lengths of some holes and their associated par scores ( or bogey as it was called then ) look a little odd to modern day golfers eg 330 yds par 5, but we can only imagine some of the trouble to be found by wayward shots.
The course guide should prove to be of interest to golfers, and also to those who might walk the present day footpaths that cross the fields.
Hole 1… We are called upon to use a wooden club as it should to be for any first hole. The long hitter can open his shoulders without fear of punishment.
Hole 2… A more difficult hole although only a little more than half the length of the first. To the left and behind the green, is a disused railway that is out of bounds. To the right is a small wood that should worry only the wildest hitter. The green is a decent size and a well played ball can be stopped with a mashie-niblick. In front of the ladies’ tee is a fine old oak tree that should not worry the average golfer.
Hole 3… Leaving the previous green, we proceed over a wooden bridge ( donated by Mr Toller ) to the tee. A good drive will carry a wire fence leaving a good lie for a brassie shot. However an indifferent drive will leave a difficult shot to carry ‘Hades’, a swamp that extends the whole width of the fairway. A five here is quite good even for the long hitter.
Hole 4… A wooden club should be played here with care as a pulled shot will be out of bounds, and slicer could find himself in a shallow ditch that runs away to the right of the green.
Hole 5… A slight climb from the previous green brings us to the tee, where a seat has been thoughtfully provided. The ground in front of the tee and to the steep rise to the left is covered with gorse, and a good shot must carry the bunker and stop on the small table green, however a duffed shot will be trapped by the ditch running towards the fourth green.
Hole 6… We drive here over a hill making this a blind tee shot but a wide fairway awaits a shot played over. The next shot is quite simple and if played to the right, results in the ball rolling down the slope to finally rest near the pin ( if only it were that easy ! ).
Hole 7… A hole of the dogleg order and in the opinion of a well known local professional, an ideal hole. The tee shot must be placed to the left over the disused railway, as on the right is a small wood locally known as ‘Devil’s Kitchen’. The second shot must not be pushed to the right as the disused railway again awaits, while on the left is the L. & N.E. Railway- Seacombe to Wrexham- also out of bounds.
Hole 8… Quite straightforward and can be played comfortably. This time the old railway line is immediately below us. With the tee shot over and on to the wide fairway, the second shot is easy and can be played with a spoon or heavy iron.
Hole 9… The long hitter will want to try for the green which stands in front of the club house. If short, a nice little pitch will get us there, and put us in a fine mood to play the ‘nineteenth’ which is only a few yards away.
All good things must come to an end, the twenty one year lease from the Gladstone Estates to Hawarden Golf Club dated 10th Mar 1914 being one of them.
Hawarden Golf Club at Groomsdale Lane
As the lease expired on the old course in 1935, work began on the new land acquired from the Estate at Groomsdale Lane. Volunteers from the club cleared land, laid greens and bunkers, and the course gradually developed into a playing condition. However, the course was barely completed when the outbreak of war again stopped ongoing work. Many members were called to serve, and the course received a minimum of maintenance by club officials using push lawnmowers, wheelbarrows etc. At this time, the finances were seriously low, but a booking by the Vickers Aircraft golf society brought in some much needed cash. The Steelworks also gave generous assistance by loaning ( often permanently ) course maintenance equipment.
In 1940, after a circular to the remaining members, the Committee recommended that the club carry on. After the war ended, the statement of accounts in 1946 showed a balance of £76 which was thought to be ‘ very satisfactory ‘. The Committee also proposed at this time that ‘ each member shall be required to take up at least one share, nominal value one shilling ‘ (5p ).
The ‘old nine ‘ was designed by Mr Bert Forshaw, and was laid out on the land that currently holds holes one and two, then twelve to eighteen.
Originally, there was no par three hole along the fence ( the current fourteenth ) and the fifth hole was played to a green that was adjacent to the large oak tree on the left of the current fifteenth fairway. From a nearby tee, the par three sixth hole was played down and over the bank to a green that can still be seen in front of the present twelfth tee. From the seventh tee adjacent to the present first green, a blind tee shot was played up and over the bank to the plateau above, and down the present sixteenth, a long par five.
The course was later changed to its present layout ie a new fifth hole along the fence, and the sixth green and seventh tee moved from the lower ground to the plateau.
In the late 60’s to the 80’s, several attempts were made to increase the length of the course, to reduce the number of par threes and to provide alternate tees for the second circuit. These involved playing the holes in a different sequence with some new tees, and playing to a new green on the bank near the first. However these changes did not prove popular, particularly with the older members, and the 60’s layout became the standard until the extension to eighteen holes, although alternate tees for the back nine were developed.
Today’s golfers might like to imagine playing shots not required on today’s layout eg tee shots to the second green were once played from a tee…
- beside the stream at the bottom the gully below the present tee.
- from a tee ( that used to be a green ) set into the bank below the present practice tee.
- from a tee at the back of the present fifteenth green.
Attempts to remove the sheep started as early as 1965, although they were rounded up for the major competitions. The wire that protected the greens was another hazard although shots that hit the wire could be replayed without penalty. Finally, in 1989 at a cost of £10 000, the club was able to purchase the grazing rights and the sheep plus the associated poop, wool, and discarded lambs’ tails finally disappeared.
The possibility of eighteen holes was always the prime objective, and negotiations with the Estate were ongoing. Land eventually became available between the railway line and the A550. Thanks to dedicated work by officials, green staff, and volunteer members, in 1994 the course was extended to a full eighteen holes.
Since that date, greens have been relayed, trees planted, drainage improved, bunkers reshaped, in an ongoing programme of refinement.
Today’s members can be justly proud of a fine golf course, and of the one hundred years of tradition that shaped it.
The original clubhouse was a small bungalow building. There was no Secretary’s or Competition’s Office, the window area between these two was not yet built, no locker room, no dining room, no kitchen, and no upstairs accommodation. The heating was provided by a cast iron solid fuel stove, located within the present honours board area, upon which bacon and eggs were often cooked after a game.
In 1963/4, the window area referred to above was built into the clubhouse, and the locker room added. The 1964 Trophy commemorates these extensions to the clubhouse.
To further improve the club, in 1968/9, it was decided to provide suitable living accommodation for the Steward. These additions to the building occupied the areas that are the present dining room and kitchen.
With the club’s increasing membership and popularity, a dining room was thought to be a necessary asset to the club, and consequently building work was started on new Steward’s accommodation on the first floor, and on converting the ground floor area to a dining room.
The final change to the premises was in 1997. The steward was no longer to live in, and the first floor rooms reverted to offices for club officials and a committee room.
The ‘ Sunday Morning Corner ‘ started in 1970, when a group of golfers who regularly played early on a Sunday morning decided to draw names from a hat, and play a Calcutta competition between themselves. At the end of play, they would sit on the red bench seats in the ‘ corner’ of the Clubhouse between the bar and the passageway to the locker room, and scores would be announced and prizes awarded.
The tradition carries on to this day, and anyone is welcome to put their name in the draw at 0800 on a Sunday.
The Major Trophies
In 1912, Mr J R W Taylor offered a Challenge Cup to the club, to be competed for in match play. This was to be known as the Sandheyes Trophy and is played to this day as a singles match play trophy. The trophy was for many years open to members of all handicap, but is now competed for by members having handicaps scratch to fifteen. The first winner was Mr A J Mayhew, one of the original founder members.
The F G Jones Trophy was presented to the club by Mr Alf Jones in memory of his son. This is a singles matchplay competition open to members having a handicap of sixteen and over. The first winner in 1966 was Mr G M Williams
The Jubilee Bowl commemorates the golden jubilee of the club in 1961, fifty years after the founding. The first winner was Mr Frank Mills, a member today.
The Nelson Bower Trophy was donated in 1931 by Mr W Nelson Bower. It was originally set up as a thirty six hole competition to be played over one day. In the days of the ‘ old nine ‘, this entailed four circuits of the course and could induce dizziness in competitors. For a short time, the competition was played on two separate days, but is now competed for again over one day. The first winner in 1931 was Mr H Wood.
The J B Owen Memorial Trophy was presented by Mrs Dorothy Owen in memory of Barry Owen, a club member of many years, a scratch golfer and Welsh international, and past Captain. The first winner in 1987 was Mr D A Reidford
The Whitson Bowl, donated by Mr Ronald S Whitson in 1936, was originally a trophy of the Artisans’ Section of the Chester Golf Club whose course was on land known as the marshes, part of the steelworks. The trophy bears the inscription…’ The Chester Artisans Golf Club…..The President’s Challenge Trophy ‘. When the club moved to Chester, many of the members joined Hawarden Golf Club and the trophy was incorporated into the Hawarden calendar.
The Geoffrey Summers Challenge Cup is a reminder of the days of steel making at the ‘Summers Steel Works ‘ in Shotton. The cup bears the legend ‘ Hawarden Bridge Steelworks Golf Competition ‘. This trophy was originally competed for by Summers’ employees only, but because of the close ties between Hawarden Golf Club and the steelworks, it has now become a club trophy, open to all club members.
The 1964 Trophy was donated by the then Captain Mr E D Harry to commemorate the substantial rebuilding of the clubhouse. The first winner was Mr L Murphy.
The 1978 Salver ‘ Triple Captains ‘ was donated by Mr K M Ellis, Mr Mac Williams, and Mr B Simpson. At that time, Mr Ellis was the Flintshire County Captain, Mr Simpson was the Captain of the Flintshire Past Captains, and Mr Mac Williams the Club Captain. The trophy was originally an individual competition, the first winner in 1978 being Mr D A Reidford, but in 1980, the format was changed to better ball match play knockout.
The Committee Prize was donated by the 1976 committee. The first winner was Mr J Woodworth.
The Prince of Wales Medal was donated in 1969 to commemorate the Investiture of Prince Charles as Prince of Wales. The first winner was Mr J B Owen.
The W E Stockton Trophy was presented in memory of Mr W E Stockton, Vice Captain in 1965 . He sadly died in a car accident before he could take up office as Captain. The first winner in 1966 was Mr W R Johnson.
The club has always been associated with local Charities. In 1967, Mr A H Reidford, who was the treasurer of the local branch of the RNLI, initiated the RNLI Spoons competition, played in the Calcutta format. The first winners were Messrs J B Owen, J Dodd, G Coppack and A E Read
The Ladies’ Major Trophies
The Lady Captain for 1967, Mrs Joyce Davies, emigrated to Canada during her year of office, and donated the Davies Trophy. Mrs Eva Richardson stood in as Lady Captain for what proved to be the third occasion. This competition is played in the Spring under Stableford rules. The first winner was Mrs Thursa Astbury.
The Andrew Cup is a singles match play competition. The Cup was presented in 1950 by Mr S & Mrs E Andrew. The first winner was Mrs Olive Webster.
In 1962, the same Mrs Webster presented the Webster Cup, played initially as a medal competition, then the best eight going forward to match play. The first winner was Mrs Pip Rogers.
In 1953, Mrs Eva Richardson presented the Coronation Cup tocommemorate the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II. The first winner was Mrs Bessie Corlett.
Mrs Eva Richardson was Ladies’ President for twenty one years and Ladies’ Captain three times. In 1968 she donated the President’s Trophy, the firstwinner being Mrs W Johnson.
The Committee Prize was inaugurated in 1968, but it was only after the 1991 AGM that it was upgraded to major competition status. Mrs Linda Reidford was the first winner.
To commemorate the investiture of the Prince of Wales, in 1969 Mrs Eva Richardson and Mr Harold Corlett both donated silver cups to be played for as the Prince of Wales Mixed Foursomes Cups. Mr & Mrs Geoff Buttling were the first winners.
Notable Hawarden People and Achievements
Joe Cockroft, like his father before him, started playing golf on the Old Course down ‘ Toller’s Lane ‘. Prior to this at the age of thirteen, he served before the mast on the schooner ‘ Rylands ’, carrying bricks from Connahs Quay to Continental ports.
Joe’s family feature several times on the Sandheyes Cup. His father won the trophy in 1914, his boast was that he held the Cup for four years ( it was not competed for during the war ! ). Joe himself won in 1931, then his brother Harold took the trophy in 1935, and finally Joe won again in 1963. During his golfing career, Joe had nine ‘ holes in one ‘, and also had the unique distinction of winning major trophies with a gap of fifty two years between them, the Sandheyes in 1931 and the 1964 Trophy in 1983.
Fred Robson, an honorary member of Hawarden Golf Club, had a long and distinguished professional career. He was born and raised in the ‘Nine Houses‘, Shotton, and was attached to the original Chester GC on the Sealand marshes, and the Old Hawarden Golf Club.
He had the distinction of playing in the first three Ryder Cup matches, the team being selected by the triumvirate J H Taylor, James Braid and Harry Vardon. In 1927, in the inaugural match at Worcester, Massachusetts, he lost to Walter Hagen. At MoorTown, Leeds, in 1929, he partnered Abe Mitchell to win his match, and in 1931, at Scioto, Ohio, he won again with Mitchell, but lost his singles to Gene Sarazen.
His record in the Open Championship from 1908 to 1934 was outstanding, seldom being out of the top thirty. In 1908, he was joint eighteenth behind James Braid, in 1911 he was joint tenth behind Harry Vardon, in 1927 joint second behind the great Bobby Jones, in 1928, joint fourth with Percy Allis behind Walter Hagen, and in 1934 twenty eighth behind Henry Cotton.
He ended his playing career as pro at Addington GC, where he was much sought after as a teacher, one of his students being the then Prince of Wales.
Peter Jones, was a junior member of Hawarden GC in the 50’s, his father being John D Jones, Captain in 1962. He won the Flintshire Boys’ Championship in 1958, and his ability was such that at the age of sixteen, he became assistant pro at Royal Birkdale, and from there assistant to Henry Cotton at TempleGC. At the age of eighteen, he was the youngest ever competitor in the 1961 Open at Royal Birkdale. He had many top finishes in British majors playing against such greats as Jacklin, Alliss, Coles, Barnes etc, but his best achievement was in the 1967 Open at Hoylake when he was second after the first day with a 69, in a field of the world’s best including Nicklaus, Palmer and Player.
Neil Ratcliffe was also a junior golfer of this era who achieved at the highest level. He was able to compete in the English Amateur Championship and in the first round lost on the eighteenth green in spite of a round of 72 at Royal Liverpool. His putter hangs on the Clubhouse wall and is played for annually.
Members may have noticed reference to ‘ Emma ‘ on the scorecard for the eleventh hole. Emma Lyon was raised in a cottage on land near the present ‘ Fox and Grapes ‘ and was a maid to the family living in the farmhouse near the eleventh tee, where she would regularly have walked the fields that are now the fairways of Hawarden GC. Later, a move to London seems to have elevated her social status, for she was soon to become Lady Hamilton and very good friend to Lord Nelson.
Barry Owen, Captain in 1979, represented Flintshire on many occasions, and was also selected to represent Wales in the Home Internationals.
Both Maureen Lloyd Jones and Pip Rogers were Flintshire Ladies Champions. Maureen was also a Welsh Ladies selector, and from 1982-86 a selector for the Great Britain Curtis Cup team.
Lyndon Hinks Edwards won the North Wales Boys’ Championship in 1993.
Matthew Kelly was Flintshire Boys Champion in 1998.
Lee Hinks Edwards won the Flintshire Men’s Championship in 1998.
David Reidford won the Welsh Seniors’ Championship in 1998.
On Lady Captains Day in 2000, Wendy Copping achieved two holes in one during her round, on the fifth and the eighteenth.
Frank Mills also achieved the same feat on the same hole, the temporary third green of the nine hole course.
Finally, a mention must be made of the many members who have, over the years, given selflessly of their time to serve as Committee Member and Chair, Captain, Treasurer, Financial Officer, and Secretary, their only reward being the continuing success of Hawarden Golf Club.